All-Season Driving Refresher Details! Get to know how you & your Mini handle!
Important: No Studded tires! No trucks! If you have studs, bring your AS or Summer tires, mounted on wheels, we will help change on site.
If you have a truck, sorry, we can’t change that!
You can learn more about handling extreme winter weather and slippery asphalt in a friendly and supportive atmosphere, without the pressure of learning on public roads or worse, sliding around in some parking lot worrying about getting caught!
The "Winter Driving Refresher" Driver's Education event is offered by PittRace, especially for the PittStop MINI Club.
All are welcome, even if you’re not driving a Mini! This is great for introducing newer drivers to the (ahem) pleasure of slippery surface driving. (drivers must have a valid driver’s license and insurance to participate).
1. Brief classroom instruction on winter driving, equipment, and winter survival skills
2. Professional, individual instruction, in your car, on closed courses: slalom, skidpad, braking, and a coned-off autocross-type course to test and hone car control. One car on the course at a time. Instructors are available by request at each event for a run or two per person, more as availability dictates.
3. Learn how your stability control and ABS work, and when to turn Traction Control OFF. Learn about winter survival, traction aids, and (in the event traction is too limited), winter vehicle recovery!
4. Road driving simulation with instruction on the Wilson go-kart circuit
5. Ample time for practicing what you've learned, on your own in a safe (non-timed, noncompetitive) environment
6. Event will be held snow, sleet, rain or shine… even if there's no snow!! (vee haff vays of making zee ascchphalt zlippery...)
Just HOW can you go wrong, except by not coming?
Q: How much pressure is there to perform?
A: None. You control your own pace, the instructors are supportive and they love doing this. It’s really fun, and low pressure
Q: What about speed?
A: Again, you’re at your pace, and nobody else is on course with you – no tailgating semi-trucks or anything like that!
Q: Wear and tear on the car?
A: No more than regular winter driving, unless you choose to really “push it” (some members will), in which case a tire wear can result. The slick conditions do keep speed down, and these courses are designed for safety. That said, I’ve run this event the last two years and my snow tires have plenty of life left.
Q: What’s the danger factor?
A: This is a street driving education event, not a high-speed one. You’ll drive faster on the way to the event than during the event. Oh yes, it’s a TON of fun,and the cars will slide a bit - but we’re not teaching off road rally driving here! That said, we WILL have an off-road demo course set up where you can get an off-road ride in an AWD Paceman...
Q: Is this beginner-friendly? I’ve never been on a racetrack before!
A: Absolutely. Every year it seems the folks who come to this event for the firsttime are the ones who have the most fun, who learn the most, and who say “Wow, I never knew something like this existed!” Come on, you’ll see!